Serves 2 / Difficulty – Medium / Prep 20 mins cooks in 3 hours
Cooking this beef curry for 3 hours results in a very tender meat in a tasty curry sauce. Best served with rice and flatbread of your choice to mop up the sauce.
1 large onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves
100g ginger, chopped
100ml vegetable oil
2 chillies, chopped
small handful curry leaves
3 thyme sprigs
4 tbsp mild curry powder
500g beef, diced
400g can chopped tomato
300ml lamb or beef stock
410g can chickpeas
Juice ½ lemon
Small bunch coriander, chopped
- Place the onion, garlic and ginger in a food processor and blend to a purée.
- Heat the oil in a lidded saucepan or dutch oven, add the onion mixture and cook for 5-10 mins until softened. You want to cook often that raw onion taste, stir often so the mixture does not stick and burn.
- Add the chillies, curry leaves, thyme and curry powder, season with salt and cook for a few minutes until fragrant. Tip the beef into the pan and cook for 5 mins over a medium heat until the meat has browned.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and stock. Turn up the heat, bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes. Reduce heat, cover and leave to simmer gently for 2½ hours.
- After the 2½ hrs are up remove the lid, add the chickpeas and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and coriander, and stir well. Serve basmati rice.