Serves 4 / Difficulty – easy / Prep time 20 minutes and 1 hour cooking time.
One of my favourite comfort foods and so easy to make in a big batch for a group of friends. Leaving to cool for a little while after cooking improves the flavour. Like lasagne this dish tastes even better the next day. I wouldn’t say this in Mexico but adding a side of fries to this is awesome…
400-500g of lean mince
1 large onion
3 tablespoons of ground cumin
1 tablespoon of ground paprika
1 Oxo cube
1 large chopped garlic bulb
2 chopped red chilli’s
400g tinned tomatos
200ml of water
400g tinned red kidney beans
2 tablespoons of chopped coriander
Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the olive oil and onion to a large frying pan and fry gently until translucent. Place in a bowl and set to one side
- Add the mince to the frying pan, break up and fry until brown all over.
- Add back the chopped onion, the cumin, paprika, garlic and chilli and stir fry for one minute.
- The add the tomatoes, water, coriander and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes remove the lid, rinse the kidney beans and add to the chilli mixture and cook off the remaining liquid for about 15 minutesuntil the mince is nice and thick
Serve on a bed of rice and a side of nachos. Top the chilli with grated cheese, soured cream and sprinkle with the remaining coriander.