Serves 2 / Difficulty – Medium / Prep 10 minutes and 3 hours cooking time.
This is rich hearty tasty dish, including the potatoes when softened before roasting then cooked in lard and garlic they are very crispy and creamy tasting potatoes… delicious.
2 lamb shanks
Small glass of white wine
Maris piper potatoes
Salt and pepper
- Take a Dutch oven and set of a high heat, cover the base in olive oil, add the lamb shanks and seal all over.
- Once sealed set the heat to low, season the lamb shanks all over. Add the wine and rosemary and cook for around 3 hours, turning the lamb shanks occasionally.
- An hour before the lamb shanks are done. Cut some maris piper potatoes into halves and quarter keeping the sizes as even as possible and boil in salted water for 15 minutes.
- Just before the potatoes have finished boiling set your oven for 220c. Add the lard to an oven proof dish and put into the oven for 5 minutes to melt the lard. Once melted add a squeeze of garlic paste and stir into the melted lard.
- Drain the potatoes and give them a good shake in a colander to roughen up the sides so the lard grips onto the potatoes and cooks them nice and crispy.
- Add the potatoes to the lard, cover all over and bake in the oven for 45 minutes turning every 15 minutes.
- Once the meat is done serve on 2 plates and keep warm.
- Add some boiling water and the gravy granules to the Dutch oven and stir to make a rich tasting gravy with the meat juices.
- Add the potatoes, seasonal vegetables of your choice and the roasted potatoes and cover with the rich gravy sauce and serve.