Serves 2 / Difficulty – Medium / Prep 20 minutes and cooked in 3 hours
You can also swap the beef for chicken (marinade with the rub and some olive oil, then stir fry until cooked). And also make fajita’s with this recipe by simply adding a tortilla, salsa (find my recipe here) and soured cream. You can also cut down the cooking time by using a good quality steak but you will need to marinade it first with the rub in some olive oil.
For the spice rub
- Rub the spice mix all over the beef, place in a large frying pan, seal the meat on a high heat and then turn down low, add some salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 hours, occasionally add some water to stop the meat drying out.
- Put the chopped peppers and onion into an oven proof dish, splash with olive oil, add some salt and pepper. Place in a preheated oven set at 220ºC and cook for 45 minutes turning occasionally.
- Put the avocado, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper in a blender and blitz until nice and smooth.
- Tip the black beans with half the water into a saucepan, add a tablespoon of cumin, a splash of olive oil, season and cook on a low heat for 20-30 minutes. Stir and mash occasionally, add some water if they look like they will dry out.
- Once the meat, peppers and onions are done, tip the peppers and onions into the frying pan with the beef, turn the heat up to high and stir fry for 5 minutes.
Serve with rice and a slice of lime for squeezing onto the beef.