Serves 2 / Difficulty – Medium / 20 minutes prep and 4 hours cooking time.
This is a dish that has its origins in the Venice region. We have it every year when in Italy on Christmas day. When I cook this meal my wife often says to me that the smell makes her think of Christmas at her parents home. It’s roasted in casserole dish on the hob rather than in the oven which keeps the duck very moist.
4 duck legs
2 sprigs of rosemary
2 cloves of garlic
Salt and pepper
- Take a lidded casserole dish or heavy bottomed lidded saucepan and cover the base in olive oil
- Add the duck legs and seal both sides
- Turn the heat to low and add the white wine, garlic and rosemary
- Season to taste with the salt and pepper
- Cover with the lid and cook for 4-5 hours, turning occasionally