Serves 4 / Difficulty – Easy / Prep 10 minutes and 25 minutes cooking time.
This is a fairly quick inexpensive evening meal with lots of flavour. Make sure the potatoes are waxy and you’ll get much better results.
700g waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into 3cm cubes
1 small onion, thinly sliced
200g smoked mackerel, skin and bones removed
2 tablespoons chopped dill
150ml double cream
100ml fish stock
2 tablespoons creamed horseradish
- Heat oven to 200°C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Take a saucepan and cook the potatoes and onion in boiling salted water for around 7 mins, you want them almost tender. Drain well and set aside.
- Grease a 20 x 20cm baking dish with a little of the butter and then distribute the potatoes evenly inside the dish.
- Remove the skin from the mackerel and any bones. Break the fish into chunky pieces, discarding any skin and bones. Places the pieces in and around the potatoes, then scatter over the chopped dill.
- Whisk the cream, stock and horseradish together and season with freshly ground black pepper and salt.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the potatoes and fish.
- Dot the remaining butter over the top, then bake for 20-25 mins until golden and the potatoes are tender.